Vegitarian diets are not fad but done for health reasons

Much like one of my fellow editors, I’ve given up meat.

While it hasn’t been for nearly as long, the overall change from a meat-filled diet to a vegetarian diet has improved the way my body as a whole has felt.

A month without meat has given me less stomach pains, not feeling as gross as I did when I had meat with a meal.

I’m now more conscious about what I eat and what I don’t— by giving up meat, I have to look for food items that replace what vitamins and proteins I’ve given up.

I’ve planned for a while to go vegetarian, but finding the right time to give up meat was a huge factor, I didn’t over the summer because I was eating whatever was cooked at home and had less of a control over what I eat without having to use what little money I got over the summer to pay for my own meals.

But when I got back to the University, I had more of an option. Meal plan allows me to eat wherever I want and get whatever I want, without having to take in much more into consideration than that.

After the first couple stressful weeks back to school, I didn’t really consider what I was eating, as long as I was eating.

But once things settled down, I became aware of what I was consuming and put a stop to eating what meats I normally ate. And that’s where I am now— meatless for a month.

When I tell people I’m a vegetarian [even though I feel like I’m not, with it being only a month since I gave up meat], I’ve had reactions from other individuals ranging from great— people who either are vegetarian/vegan or can actually respect my life choices- to those who can’t give up meat and let it be known, to those who call it something along the lines of a fad, or believe it’s awful that you’re not consuming meat.

By no means did I give up meat for the taste, but for the overall health benefits, the fact that so many resources [water, crop and land] are all used on livestock that can be spent on other, more valuable resources, along with the abuse these animals are put through before they’re slaughtered.

Did I ever mention I have the biggest soft spot for animals?

It kind of helped a lot that I’m allergic to some meats— pork products make me sick.

To me, becoming a vegetarian isn’t a ‘fad diet,’ but a lifestyle I plan on following for hopefully the rest of my life.

Respond to Cassie at