Student offers hair extensions on the Internet, strives for affordable prices

It’s not every day students are in search for hair, but if you are, a new hair boutique located in Bowling Green may be your go-to option.

Trill Tresses Hair Boutique is an online store for those who want hair extensions. The boutique started in January and officially opened for business three weeks ago by a University student, Simone Jackson.

“I always knew I wanted to start a business, I just wasn’t sure what I wanted it to be,” Jackson said.

Jackson, a public relations major, wears hair extensions herself and the idea sparked her interest after she came across a woman who sold them.

“We buy the weave from a company in Brazil and our primary goal is to allow customers a versatile way of wearing their hair for a more affordable price,” Jackson said.

Jackson wants to provide a great product for college students on a budget, so students who attend the University are offered a discount by liking Trill Tresses Hair Boutique Facebook and following them on Instagram.

Senior Kieshawn Whaley won a photo challenge from Instagram, which is one reason why she decided to start buying from Jackson.

“I also want to support her as an entrepreneur,” Whaley said. “Plus, it is great quality hair.”

University students will receive free shipping with the promo code offered to them after liking and following their accounts.

“It’s a new business, so we are trying to promote stuff on Facebook. We will offer free promo codes periodically [in the future],” Jackson said.

Jackson sells three bundles of hair, which makes up a full head of hair. Depending on how long a customer wants the length of the weave to be, she offers lengths of 12, 14 and 16 inches long.

Customers can also buy the hair by the lot, which is three bundles (equals a full head of hair) and starts at a price of $200.

The price may be why some students are holding back to purchase, but Whaley said the price is good for the quality.

“If you get a bundle or two of hair for $60, it probably won’t last long and will be difficult to style,” she said. “You basically get what you pay for.”

Because students who are thinking of purchasing the hair may have some questions because it is sold online, Jackson has answers.

“We see virgin hair, which is hair in its most natural state and has not been processed at all,” Jackson explained. “It will last a customer up to a year, which is unusual for a weave.”

Virgin hair also allows people to color and style the hair like they would their own without any difficulties.

Whaley enjoys the hair because she said it is easy to style and doesn’t tangle or shed easy.

“You can wear [it] like real hair,” she said.

Another concern that online buyers may come across is wanting to touch or inspect the hair before they make their purchase. Since Jackson’s customers are mostly from the Bowling Green area, she hasn’t had any problems so far.

“I’m still trying to figure out the little things,” Jackson said. “It’s not something I want to pursue the rest of my life, but I’m glad I was able to start it and make it available for people.”

Even though Jackson doesn’t want this business to be her main focus after graduation, Gene Poor, instructor in the Marketing Department said it should be.

“Passion is the number one thing students need to have when opening a business,” Poor said. “They should walk, talk, vomit passion. It should be so soul deep inside them and they need to love it.”

While it may not be her absolute passion, she is still glad she was able to start this business.

“I just want students to have a way to purchase an expensive product for cheaper and add more versatility to their hair styles,” Jackson said.