Greek council recruits together

This year, the Multicultural Greek Council will host their first ever collaborative recruitment event.

In the past, they’ve recruited as individual chapters, but Sept. 20 in 316 Union will be their first ever recruitment event as a council.

All six of the existing sororities and fraternities are coming together in order to provide information on what their organizations are about.

The Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) consists of six Greek organizations: Phi National Social Fraternity, Inc, Delta Xi Phi Multicultural Sorority, Inc., Omega Phi Alpha National Service Sorority, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity, Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc.

“It was easy to work with all of the Greek organizations in MGC because it was beneficial for each of them,” said junior Emily Soster, member of Omega Phi Alpha. “I think that what links us together is our differences, we promote very different things but we all come together as one.”

MGC members Craig Rowley and Soster represented the Multicultural Greek Council at the Student Leader Retreat, which sparked collaboration.

“We became not only more involved with one another but with the campus in general,” Rowley said. “Collaborating is one of the steps. We want growth in all six organizations, not only are we looking for more people but quality people.”

Some students on campus had been unaware of MGC until Campus Fest, many of whom are now excited to see what the Multicultural Greek Council does. They also promoted the event at tables in the Union, and with social media.

“I really want to become a member of Sigma Lambda Gamma because I like what they stand for,” said freshman Catheline Longoria-Perez. “I am excited to attend the event and get to learn more about the different sororities and the fraternities on campus.”

This step towards collaboration allows students with different interests to explore many different options.

It was easy to collaborate with the other Greek organizations because they all share a common goal, Soster said.

“We all want every student interested in Greek life to find a place where they feel they belong and one that fits them best,” said Soster. “We are hoping that a good, decent amount of people, who have a genuine interest in our organizations come out.”