Take time to explore your new community, enjoy its historic features

To new University students:

Welcome to Bowling Green, a traditional American college town and a city deeply rooted in community life and outstanding municipal services.

I applaud your decision to further your education at the University and wish you all the best for the 2013-14 academic year.

On behalf of the citizens of Bowling Green, I hope you will take time to note the many distinctive features of your new home for learning and living, to enjoy your new surroundings, experience the numerous and varied offerings in historic downtown BG, explore our attractive city parks and wooded nature trails and to participate in various public events during the year.

And speaking of public happenings, don’t miss the always fun-filled and exciting Black Swamp Arts Festival, now in its 21st year, beginning on the weekend of Friday, Sept. 6.

As mayor, I would be remiss if I did not also encourage you to respect your new neighbors and their residential settings, honor our values as a community and cooperate with those who are here to serve and protect you and all other residents of BG.

Good luck. Enjoy Bowling Green.