Hockey continue series with Irish

Mark Cooper prepares to pass the puck in a game earlier this season.

The BG hockey team returns to the ice Tuesday to take on No. 2 Notre Dame.

Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at the BG Ice Arena.

The game is a completion of a series the two teams played Dec. 15. Notre Dame asked to have the game slated for Friday, rescheduled due to an academic function.

Notre Dame’s 15 wins are third most in the nation, trailing only Quinnipiac (17) and Minnesota (16). However, the Irish has lost two of its past three games.

The Irish lead the Central Collegiate Hockey Association in goals for (44) and goals against (20). Their 33 points in the conference standings has them in first place, one point ahead of Miami.

Andres Lee is third in the CCHA with 19 points. Notre Dame has six players with more than 10 points on the season.

Goalie Steven Summerhays has started 20 games in net and is second in the CCHA with a 1.61 goals-against average.

The Falcons are coming off perhaps their most dominating performance of the season, a 5-1 win against Michigan. BG is 3-0-1 since it had a week off for Christmas.

While the Falcons’ offense has improved, it’s been the defense that has paced the Falcons recently. In the past four games, BG goaltenders have stopped 118 of 123 shots (.959 save percent). Andrew Hammond started three of those games and allowed only three goals in that stretch.

BG enters the series last in the CCHA standings with 13 points. However, the Falcons have played the fewest conference games in the CCHA with 13. The five teams in front of BG in the standings have all played 16 conference games.