Jim Tressel should coach football team

My name is Anthony “Tony” Pinto and I am a 1980 graduate from Bowling Green State University.

I graduated with a major in broadcast journalism and a minor in management and marketing. I am a very loyal University alumnus. I want to thank President Mary Ellen Mazey for taking the raise she recently received from the University and giving it towards scholarships.

What a great gesture. We seem to live in a society today driven by money, greed and stature. I applaud Mazey.

I also want to compliment Mazey by again saying, “thank you” for reaching out to the alumni. It is also to my understanding that Mazey had a big part in keeping hockey going at the University. When I was at the University, nobody messed with BG hockey. We were a power. Thank you for keeping the sport that put the University on the map.

Mazey, may I make a sound suggestion? Dave Clawson has elected to leave the University for another school. Finding a replacement is of utmost importance. There are many of us who want to come back for a homecoming, go to a bowl game, who want the University to not only be ranked academically, but also be a force in sports.

Sports should not be a priority in life, but, it is a big part of American culture.

And, because it is a big part of American culture, it is a big part of our lives. Having said this, it would be nice to see the University aggressively pursue Jim Tressel.

Tressel is an Ohio native who has a great track record in recruiting and in helping and educating individuals. He has had a great career at Youngstown State University and at Ohio State University.

I am seeking your support in asking our Director of Athletics to highly consider pursuing Tressel.

I want this program to go forward and not backward.

Think of that stadium being filled every home game. Think of Tressel hiring somebody underneath him to take over after he has brought the University to another level. Think of the University not only being ranked high, but fighting for a National Championship. Think of people around the country saying, “Ohio, those are good people.”

After I graduated from the University, I spent two years back home in the Cleveland area. Then I went to Louisville, KY, for six months, then Italy for a month, then Newport Beach, Calif. for eight years covering the 11 western states, and then I was transferred to Atlanta for 16 years where I covered the seven southern states and now, almost five years in Dallas. And every place I’ve gone, people love people from Ohio. We are special.

I want to “thank you” again, for what Mazey did to promote the University in a positive way.

I know there may be some obstacles to overcome. Nobody is perfect in life. Work with the NCAA. However, people deserve a chance. Tressel deserves that chance. Grab him now before another MAC school does.

Respond to Pinto at