Connection to bands strong

“Amazing how life turns out the way it does.”

While I don’t remember the exact time when I found my favorite band Anberlin, I never thought about the way life turns out the way it does. I didn’t think by picking up their third album, I would fall into love with a band for seven or eight years.

But the sad truth is, Anberlin is breaking up after this year’s seventh album, a summer tour and a final tour.

I found out on Jan. 22nd.

Jan. 22nd, 2011 was the first time I saw Anberlin live. I was a high school senior at a Columbus show when I was saw them live, and experience something I had wanted to hear for a while — I wanted to see them live.

Since then, I’ve seen them play again twice, both in the past year. One show particularly special to me for a few reasons.

I was three rows from the stage. Not only was this my first time so close to any stage during a concert, but it was also my favorite band.

I’ve become increasingly sad since their announcement. I’ve been thinking more about this recently— I saw them a year ago this month. Something about that show made me feel so much better about myself and my life.

My problems were gone, even though it was temporary. Reality swung back full force not much later and I moved along with their music playing.

While I’m still saddened by Anberlin’s decision to end, I understand why they’re doing it. These guys have been doing this for over ten years now and it’s about time to settle down or work on other projects. Their fans still have their music, but not the pleasure of tours and new albums every now and then.

I won’t forget the times I spent listening to Anberlin while I was out with my dogs, or walking across campus. They’ll still be my favorite band and some songs live are much better than their studio versions, but it’s better than nothing.

Don’t be let down if you’re favorite band is coming to an end, but embrace the music and just hold on.

Respond to Cassie at