Day of the week affects students’ decisions to drink on St. Patrick’s Day

St. Patrick’s Day might be a national holiday for drinking no matter the day of the week, but some students will put academics first no matter what.

Since St. Paddy’s Day is during the week and not on the weekend this year, there will be less students going out than last year, Deputy Chief Tony Hetrick said.

However, even though there may be less people out, the Bowling Green Police will have the same amount of patrol cars as normal, he said.

Hetrick said that there are certain patrols that are watching the railroad specifically and there are certain liquor control agents that watch the liquor stores.

“Unless the weather is very nice, there isn’t very high activity, but as of 9:30 a.m. there was one disorderly conduct arrest this year,” Hetrick said.

Many students are downtown at the bars and some of them could be brought in due to public urination or something of that sort, he said.

Junior Bill Peet is one of the students who didn’t go out and celebrate this St. Paddy’s Day.

“My friend had a party on Saturday, so I pretended that it was St. Paddy’s Day that day,” Peet said.

Peet said that St. Paddy’s Day is just an excuse for people to drink and if it were on the weekend he would be going out.

Not joining in this year doesn’t bother Peet because he said he is dedicated to his schoolwork.

Tuesday is a busy day for him with four classes and having to wake up at 9 a.m.

“It’s right after spring break, I have a lot of catching up to do and it’s time to get back into the swing of things,” Peet said.

Junior Miranda Torres is another person that isn’t joining in the festivities of St. Paddy’s Day.

Being a nursing major, Torres is very busy with constant tests and studying and commutes to Toledo.

“I have a big test on Friday, and I’m choosing to study every day for it,” Torres said. “It’s also going to be really cold and I’m not Irish, so it isn’t particularly important to me.”

Weather may be a reason why some students go out, but that isn’t going to stop everyone.

Fifth year senior Clay Schofield planned on going to class in the morning and going downtown after.

Schofield likes St. Paddy’s Day because he likes that everyone is in a good mood.

“I like seeing people in funny green outfits and like that there are so many people out and about,” Schofield said.

Because St. Paddy’s Day has become an drinking event, Hetrick said it has become popular.

“I think St. Paddy’s Day has become an alcohol involved event,” Hetrick said. “I think that is why so many students like to celebrate it.”