University organization to save lives, raise awareness

This week the Latino Student Union will be saving lives while it celebrates its history.

LSU will be hosting the Ceasar Chavez Blood Drive in 101 Olscamp.

The event will take place from March 25 to 27 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., said Mayra Lopez, coordinator of LSU.

The blood drive has been hosted for more than five years and is named after Ceasar Chavez, who Lopez said was an important historical figure in the U.S. and it’s important to highlight people like him.

Chavez was an advocate for farmers’ rights in California and fought poor working conditions and low pay, Lopez said. He participated in strikes and helped found the United Farm Workers of America.

She said a lot of people don’t know about Chavez, so the blood drive will be a good opportunity to educate people about them.

“[The blood drive is] both educational and we want to save lives as well,” Lopez said.

Lopez said the blood drive will be different from most because there will be activities such as dance competitions, a raffle and a disc jokey playing music.