‘Fluffy’s’ fans flock to Stroh for night of comedy

Alyssa Benes Assistant Photo Edi

Gabriel Iglesias talks about how he lost 100 pounds during his performance at the Stroh Center on Sunday.

Comedian Gabriel Iglesias, known as “Fluffy,” talked about topics ranging from his 100-pound weight loss to racist gift baskets on Sunday evening at the Stroh Center.

Doors opened at 6 p.m. and the show started at 7 p.m.

“I have been watching Fluffy on TV for three years,” sophomore Dana Gill said. “I like watching him because of the sounds he makes and how real he is.”

The sold out crowd was filled with people from all ages wearing glow sticks.

Iglesias joined the stage through a back entrance and the crowd erupted with applause.

“Bowling Green, I didn’t even think this place was real when I first heard about it,” is how Iglesias started off his skit.

He assured the audience he was there to have fun with everyone.

Aside from telling jokes that had the audience almost jumping out of their seats laughing, Iglesias had some serious advice for the audience.

“Don’t let school dictate what you should and shouldn’t learn,” and “it’s not about what you know, but who you know,” Iglesias said.

Iglesias joked around with the audience about going past his time limit for the show and continued to tell his jokes.

After every joke he told, he would ask the audience if he should keep going and the audience would erupt in applause and cheers.

The show started with a preview of a new movie being released featuring Fluffy called “A Haunted House 2.”

Before Iglesias performed, comedian Martin Moreno went on stage.

After Moreno got the ball rolling with some jokes about sex and getting old, the next comedian Jerry Rocha went on stage.

Following Rocha, Alfred Robles and Rick Gutierrez went on stage and then the advertising began.

“Opening for Fluffy is like Thanksgiving everyday,” Robles said. “It may be hard to believe, but off stage, I’m really shy.”

Throughout the intermission, slideshows were shown of Iglesias’ experiences.

Right before Iglesias was introduced there was a contest to see which audience member would best fit into a 5X shirt.

Audience members were asked to stand if they wanted to partake in the contest.

The members were asked to come to the front of the stage and the audience chose the winner based on applause.

After the contest, the crowd started to chant “Fluffy, Fluffy, Fluffy.”

Kyle Recker, a member of the University Activities Organization Event Staff, said he thought the show was good for the students and staff and brought in good revenue.

“My favorite part of the show was the diversity, it’s like he was trying to appeal to everyone,” Recker said. “I will definitely see him again.”

After performing 45 minutes past his ending time, Iglesias ended the show with one of his old jokes. The audience even knew parts of it and chanted with him.

Iglesias interacted with the crowd throughout the entire show and left the audience by saying “I will be back.”