Campus event celebrates multiculturalism

Students and campus organizations filled the ballroom on Tuesday night to discuss why diversity on campus is important.

Jeff Devereaux, president of the Multicultural Greek Council hosted “Colors of a Falcon,” wanting to expose the community to all ethnicities and diversity.

His idea was to narrow down multiculturalism to the University, to get more students on campus to understand why diversity is important.

“Most times we fail to highlight diversity here at home,” Devereaux said. “We had to narrow it down to BG.”

Jill Carr, vice president of Student Affairs, said diversity is important because it enriches the University and gives more power to the classroom.

“Who am I? I am different, like everyone else,” Carr said. “We need to engage diversity and listen with ears of our hearts.”

A few greek chapters chose one word to add to a “Wall of Oppression” that shows hurtful words that occur in the lives of every person. This “wall” will be torn down afterward to show that these words will not be tolerated.

Junior Luke Grabski, president of Vision, put together a video of a set of diverse students to highlight the fact that “all identities are valuable.”

As a transgender, Grabski wanted to evoke positive recognition and an educational opportunity for students to get involved.

“Conversations about diversity are usually on a surface level, or on negative aspects that different cultures experience,” Grabski said.

Devereaux planned this event to set up for other events that will be happening on campus soon. Not in Our Town will be hosting an open mic night and Undergraduate Student Government will be hosting a diversity fest next week. All of these groups banded together to show how important celebrating diversity is within a campus setting.

The Humanities Troop of the Department of Theatre and Film performed a skit on not being afraid to be different, regardless of your race or gender.

Multiple greek chapters, organizations, the Black Student Union and the Latino Student Union attended the event to promote their groups.

Junior Kevin Lewis, president of BSU, thinks of his organization as a support system for anyone who needs it. Their meetings consist of building a community within their group and solving any problems their members or the University may be facing.

The LSU was promoting its Latino Awareness week, April 21 through April 26. It also hosts weekly meetings to discuss current events and upcoming projects.

“We work with the other groups to promote events and diversity on campus, like our blood drive,” said Juan Pimiento, president of LSU.