Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 21, 2023

• A Theatrical Rivalry with Love and Despair
    By Jay Grummel If We Were Villains has a way of making the horrifics acts of rivals and the blurry line of morals poetic. At first glance I didn’t think I’d enjoy this book as much as I did, especially with the amount of times it quoted Shakespeare. However, after diving into this dark academic […]
  • Falcon Four: Series for Back-to-School Nostalgia
    By Jay Grummel For some of us going back to classes is dreadful and for others it’s exciting. Personally, I am happy to be back on campus and with some structure, but I am also happily procrastinating  a lot of my responsibilities. To get back into the groove of things, here’s a Falcon Four of […]
September 21, 2023

Softball look to continue winning streak

The BG softball team prepares conference play away games after its three-game winning streak, including two shutouts and a mercy rule win.

The Falcons will play two games apiece against the University of Akron Friday and Ohio University Saturday and Sunday.

Both teams are in the MAC east division with the Falcons. Ohio University is sitting in the first spot with a conference record of 4-2 and Akron is currently in the fourth spot with a record of 2-2.

The Falcons have a conference of 3-3 following a 1-1 split against Miami University last weekend, and currently hold the third spot.

They will look to continue their recent solid performance to take advantage of their opponents, who are both coming off recent losses.

Both of the Falcons regular rotation pitchers, junior Jamie Kertes and sophomore Braiden Dillow, played a complete game in their last appearances with one win apiece. Both pitchers also allowed zero runs in their respective games and are both in regular rotation next weekend.

Head coach Shannon Salsburg has stayed true to her past statements about focusing on each game separately and looking at the team as a whole. That will not change this weekend against the division leaders.

“We make pitching changes based off of match-ups and how those match-ups have worked so far in the game and what is best for the team,” Salsburg said. “If somebody can throw all seven that just takes stress off of our staff. It’s something that happens in softball but if that doesn’t happen, we are able to make changes based on what is happening in the game.”

The same will apply to the offensive side. Coming off the last few games the team has seen offensive production from a number of different spots on the roster. In a game against Miami, the Falcons recorded 11 hits coming from six players and in the last game against North Dakota they were able to see 10 hits coming from eight players in only five innings.

“We’re built to play as a team and to win as a team. We don’t have that one superstar who’s going to carry us and I think that’s a strength for us,” Salsburg said. “We talk all year about processes and our processes are getting better and now we’re starting to get better results.”

The Falcons will begin their double-header in Akron at 1 p.m. Friday and then play two games in Athens, the first at 5 p.m. Saturday and the second at 1 p.m. Sunday.