Faculty senate to tackle ‘sexist’ signs Tuesday

Assistant Professor in the School of Cultural and Critical Studies Sarah Rainey said sexism is still happening at the University today.

Rainey, and many others on Faculty Senate and around the University, are referring to the signs on Wooster Street during move-in weekend which say things like “daughter drop-off,” “we’ll trade beer for girls” and “freshman girl training center.”

Many claim the signs are “free speech,” but members of Faculty Senate are planning to pass a resolution at their meeting Tuesday calling student affairs officials to action to stop the signs.

“In the past I think people have just been ‘this is free speech,’ that’s inaccurate,” Rainey said. “That doesn’t mean there’s no consequences.”

People may not want to stop the signs because Rainey said some think they’re something of a “tradition.”

“It’s been going on as long as people remember.” Rainey said. “I think that’s why people don’t want to touch it.”

Students are bound by the student code of conduct and Rainey said this is “sexual harassment” and is creating a “hostile environment.”

“It’s dehumanizing to women and we need to make sure BGSU is a safe and welcoming space for all people, regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation or ability status,” Rainey said.

The resolution will go to Faculty Senate on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. in the McFall Gallery. Look for an update on the story on bgnews.com Tuesday afternoon and in Wednesday’s edition of The BG News.