Use of makeup wearers choice, don’t judge

I took a quiz on Buzzfeed to see whether I am, by its standards, a beauty addict.

I was not surprised by my diagnosis: I am definitely, all-caps definitely, a beauty addict.

Like Buzzfeed, I ask is that so bad? Growing up in the ‘90s very close to my older sister and “Full House,” I was fascinated by all things cosmetic. What can I say? It stuck.

Playing around with new makeup tricks is still one of my favorite ways to relax. I can’t bring myself to leave my residence hall without makeup, not for a quick jaunt to the Union and certainly not for class.

It’s not because I’m trying to impress anyone in class [it’s a bit late in the semester for that, anyway, am I right?]

It’s not because I don’t believe it’s what’s on the inside that counts or because I don’t feel comfortable in my own skin. I just don’t see any harm in doing something to enhance it.

One statement on the quiz asked if I felt naked without lipstick and mascara.

Why, yes; in fact, throw in some eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush, concealer and foundation and now we’re talking.

I am one of those people who wear makeup to the gym. I like to be active and presentable, preferably both at the same time.

I can’t go to CVS without stopping in the cosmetics aisle, and Sephora and Mary Kay do wonders for my soul.

If you’re with me, ladies, it’s cool.

It’s also cool to care more about grabbing a little extra sleep before class, leave primping for the birds and rock the au naturele look on a daily basis or whenever you feel like it.

It’s your prerogative and oddly empowering.

What’s not cool is to pass judgment on someone on the amount of makeup she’s wearing.

Do you love wearing makeup or hate wearing makeup?

Or maybe it depends on your mood and the day’s plans?

Anything goes.

Just own it, be comfortable and be happy.

Respond to Abigail at