Softball to play home opener Wednesday against Wright State

The Falcon Softball team will play its home opener at Meserve Field against Wright State on Wednesday.

The team is coming off of a 2-2 start in Mac play last weekend.

It is the defensive end that the Falcons struggled with last weekend. Three errors and four unearned runs dealt the team a 10-3 loss in the second game against NIU last weekend. Errors in the opening game against Western Michigan also dealt the team a loss last weekend in a shutout 1-0.

A total of 19 runs were allowed last weekend in the 2-2 split.

The Falcons will look to capitalize on a Wright State team that has been able to score over five runs this season just three times out of 25 games.

The team will also look to continue their strong showing on offense.

Early on in the season the Falcons struggled on offense, failing to capitalize on players on base. Now, offense does not seem to be a problem. The team was able to score in all but one game last weekend and in the opening game against NIU seven of the nine starters recorded a hit.

Six freshmen combined for eight hits in their last game, totaling seven runs. That seven runs was the fourth highest the Falcons have scored this season.

The upcoming games will be the first of the season played at Meserve Field in Bowling Green.

“There have been some awesome improvements to the field,” head coach Shannon Salsburg said. “We were disappointed that we had to go on the road last weekend. It will be nice for the kids to have their friends come out and have our supporters see the team.”