November 30, 2023

• Books I’ve Loved Recently
    By Jay Grummel In the fall my TBR (to be read) shifts from Fantasy to Literary Fiction. I’ve become a mood reader in my college years. Something about the coldness of the fall and winter influences the sadness of the books I’m reading. Recently, a few novels I deem to best of my 2023 reads. […]
  • Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]

Sibs N’ Kids weekend begins Friday

The 16th annual Sibs N’ Kids weekend begins this Friday through Sunday at the University.

It is a weekend for students with siblings to bond and interact with each other. The event is sponsored by University Activities Organization and the Sibs N’ Kids Committee.

Emily Buroker, assistant director of Sibs N’ Kids, said the event is fairly popular on campus and is continuing to grow.

“We have about 700 people registered as of now,” she said. “We aim to register 900 to 1,000 each year.”

Registration is still open, and they will also have open registration on the opening day of the event.

As of Tuesday, 768 people were registered, according to information provided by Buroker.

Some students look forward to the chance to spend time with their younger siblings, and share their college experience with them.

Freshman Ciara Farmer said she is excited for the weekend because she has never heard of anything like this before.

“I have a 10-year-old little brother and I think that he will enjoy the events,” she said. “We don’t always get to spend a lot of time together, so this is perfect.”

Sibs N’ Kids begins on Friday with Dunk for Liberty in the Union Oval at noon. Check-in on Friday is from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. The night will end with the movie “The Nut Job” being shown in the Union Theater at 8:30 p.m. Buroker says that Saturday is the busiest day and the most fun.

“We have so many different activities for siblings of all ages,” she said.

There are 30 events going on Saturday and many of them are hosted by different student organizations Buroker said. Disney’s “Frozen” is the movie choice for Saturday night, also being shown in the Union Ballroom at 3:30 p.m.

Nyia Bentley, sophomore, said that she is looking forward to this year’s Sibs N’ Kids weekend.

“I brought my sister last year and she had a lot of fun,” she said. “She got to do things that she may not get to do at home and meet other kids her age.”

Sunday is the final day of the weekend long event. Students can take their siblings to University athletic events and there will also be church services at 11 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. in the ballroom.

The event is not only for bonding, but Buroker says it’s sometimes used as a recruitment tool.

“It’s a chance for some of the older siblings who are looking at colleges to see [the University’s] campus and all it has to offer,” she said.