Centennial Hall available to students during summer

As the 2013-2014 school year comes to a close, many students will be traveling near and far to their homes or summer vacation spots.

Others will be right here in Bowling Green.

“We have 81 students signed up to stay on campus this summer,” said Joshua Lawrie, assistant director in the Office of Residence Life.

Summer on-campus housing is available in Centennial Hall for students during the sessions in which they are enrolled in summer classes from May 19 through August 8.

Just as in the regular school year, there are double and single rooms obtainable to stay in.

“On-campus housing provides the opportunity for students to get ahead in their academics and not worry about paying various bills,” Lawrie said.

Besides on-campus housing in Centennial Hall, other housing projects will be underway this summer at the University.

The University will be undergoing a demolition and reconstruction of greek units on fraternity and sorority rows.

While there is no set date for demolition, Steven Krakoff, vice president of Capital Planning and Design, said it should occur sometime in the late summer.

The new housing will consist of a four, 12 or 18-person occupancy installed with small kitchen areas and larger rooms for meetings and other chapter business.

Krakoff is still waiting on some chapters final decisions, but there are assumed to be about 30 new chapter houses.

University junior Zakiya Phillips, a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, is excited for the change.

“I am excited to see the new changes,” Phillips said. “Hopefully I am here to see the final product and be able to live with my sorority sisters.”

Krakoff said the new developments don’t just benefit Greek students.

“This’ll be a very exciting development, not just for sororities but for the whole University,” he said. “The new houses being along Wooster St. will enhance the appearance of the University.”