University Opera Theater production hosted “Die Fledermaus” this weekend

This weekend, opera and arts fans came together to the Wolfe Center for the Arts to see the University Opera Theater’s production of “Die Fledermaus” by Johann Strauss.

The opera was performed Friday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m., lasting about three hours with two intermissions.

Orchestral conductor Robert Collins was impressed with the turn out of the event.

Throughout the course of the show, the husband and wife are involved in imprisonment, lies, and affairs, and are tied in with the other characters by attending a party held by Count Orlofsky.

The bat is once again tied into the story as it is revealed that the mishaps of the party were an act of vengeance set up by Dr. Falke to get back at Einstein for playing a joke on him.

Originally written as a German comedy, the opera has been adapted into a lighthearted English production, as well as many other languages.

The opera began with a long orchestral piece followed by the first character, Dr. Falke, as played by Nick Gordon, in a bat costume running across the stage flapping his wings.

The scene then continues with Alfred, portrayed by Tao Tang, singing and running about the stage, causing an uproar of laughter from the audience.

The maid Adele, played by Clair Chardon, wished to attend a party, and begins to furbish a lie to tell her masters in order to get out of work for the evening.

Finally, Gabriel and Rosalinda Einstein, played by Rory Wallace and Grace Hirt, were introduced in the show.

Audience member and alumna Kate Hooser said she was impressed by the show.

“[Grace Hirt] sounds absolutely amazing,” Hooser said. “We were roommates when I went to school here, so it’s amazing to see how much she has improved since then.”

Audience member Ted Garey had a similar view.

“BG operas are always really good quality shows and the performers are really good in this one,” Garey said. “I’ve been to a lot of them and I’m always impressed with how well they put them together.”

According to Collins, almost 300 people were in attendance at the show Friday evening, and more than 220 attended the Sunday showing.

“We’ve had a really good amount of people show up this weekend.” Collins said. “I’m really happy with the turnout.”

For more information about plays and operas at the University, visit the University website.