University offers insomnia treatment

The University’s very own Sleep Research Team is now offering treatments to anyone in the BG community that is currently suffering from insomnia.

This study has been approved by BGSU Human Subject Review Board, and is 100 percent voluntary, confidential and free for anyone interested.

Kyoung Deok Baik, who is the principal investigator of this study and also a Ph.D candidate in clinical psychology at the University, states the treatment consists of two group sessions with three to five people per group. There is no fee for participating.

Baik had taken the time to expand on what her research and study consists of. She says that it is important for her patients to realize that their inability to sleep is not their fault. She started investigating the effect of acceptance and commitment therapy [ACT] on insomnia and it helps those who struggle with thinking and emotional activities that hinder them from reaching sleep. The main concentration with this study is to help the patient initiate their sleep, letting them have a much better sleeping experience in general, Baik said.

Baik is also assisted in this study by Jessica Walter, a current undergraduate working towards a degree in psychology. She said she became extremely intrigued by Baik’s behavioral medicine approach.

“Kyoung challenges their perspectives and gains insights into their own thinking and how it can interfere with their sleep. Over time their insomnia will just naturally disappear,” Walter said.

This study can help many of the students at the University if sleep is a need they are not receiving. It is vital to every student’s success and yet unfortunately many cannot reach sleep on their own. Kaitlyn Yanda, a freshman, struggled with insomnia at one time.

“It’s a great program,” Yanda said. “Sleep is extremely important to functioning, especially in an educational environment. I had insomnia at one point in my life and this would have helped me a lot at the time.”

Students who are interested can email [email protected] to join the study, or to even request more information.