Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 21, 2023

• A Theatrical Rivalry with Love and Despair
    By Jay Grummel If We Were Villains has a way of making the horrifics acts of rivals and the blurry line of morals poetic. At first glance I didn’t think I’d enjoy this book as much as I did, especially with the amount of times it quoted Shakespeare. However, after diving into this dark academic […]
  • Falcon Four: Series for Back-to-School Nostalgia
    By Jay Grummel For some of us going back to classes is dreadful and for others it’s exciting. Personally, I am happy to be back on campus and with some structure, but I am also happily procrastinating  a lot of my responsibilities. To get back into the groove of things, here’s a Falcon Four of […]
September 21, 2023

Homecoming holds special meaning

Homecoming Week holds special meaning for Leah Market because her high school did not have a homecoming.

When she came to the University, Market, now President of University Activities Organization, learned about homecoming and its meaning for the first time. She loves the traditions of SIC SIC and Freddy and Frieda Falcon most of all.

“It’s something that’s a tradition that brings people back every year,” Market said.

The signs around campus which say, “Once a Falcon, always a Falcon” hold true as the students of the University embrace the return of the alumni.

Such students, including sophomore Drew Ashby-King, a cheerleader here at the University, enjoys the traditions and the return of alumni to their alma mater.

“Homecoming is an exciting week for me because of the rich history BG has and how that is shown when the Alumni come back,” Ashby-King said.

Market’s mom also attended the University and came back to her alma mater for homecoming during Market’s freshman year, making the experience even more sentimental.

“It’s about tradition— continuing current ones and introducing new ones. Students should be excited about Homecoming because they are and will forever be a part of BGSU and its community,” said Kayla Patterson, Major Events Co-Chair on the Homecoming Steering Committee.

Another thing students have in common is their love for the University’s fight song, Ay Ziggy Zoomba. Market is part of the majority who enjoy the fight song with gusto.

“I love the university band because I get so pumped up listening the fight song,” Market said.

Ashby-King agrees with Market about the fight song. He said, “It is very cool to know that when BGSU alumni come back they still sing Ay Ziggy Zoomba just like things we do today.”

Attending the talent show and participating in the homecoming parade are some of Market’s favorite things to do during the homecoming week.

Market’s ultimate favorite homecoming event is the football game.

“The homecoming game is amazing fun because there are so many activities that lead up to it,” she said.

Junior Marcus Davidson agrees. He said, “My favorite thing about homecoming is the football game and tailgating because you get to see everyone show school spirit and having a good time doing it.”

Homecoming is a week when alumni and current students can show pride in their school and alma mater.

“It reminds us of just how much we love BG,” Market said.