Job, internship fair opening Tuesday

On Tuesday, the University is holding its annual Fall EXPO 2014 Job and Internship Fair at the Perry Field House from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

This year’s event will feature one of the largest and most diverse list of employers to date, said Jeff Jackson, director of the Career Center and assistant vice president for enrollment management,

It’s still not too late for students to decide to attend, even with what may be a shorter time to prepare.

Heather Golden, assistant director at the Career Center, said she’d advise anyone who is just now deciding they want to attend to pick up and review the in-depth EXPO guide as a first step. There they will find every participating employer both showcased and categorized by career field. She said students can use it as a tool to identify the potential employers they may want to consider.

“In the guide, there are articles highlighting how to prepare for the job and internship fair,” Golden said. “Additionally, students can review the employer profiles listed and go to WorkNet for more details.”

WorkNet is a job and internship database students can access online to connect with employers looking to hire University students, both current and post-graduate.

Advice for those students already set on attending is similar, including research, practice, proofreading and checking out the guide for additional tips, Golden said.

“Helpful hints about resumes, interviewing, one-minute commercials and much more can be found in the EXPO guide,” she said. “Be sure to check it out.”

Even experts from some of the employers themselves offered tips.

Rashadd Humes, talent acquisition of Marathon Petroleum Company, recommended students utilize the Career Center as much as possible to enhance the skills they’ll need to land the interview.

“Prepare for the EXPO and interviews,” Humes said in the guide. “Be sure to know the company history, have notes about the company and copies of

your resume.”

If students are still on the fence about it, they can take a moment to think about the number of benefits and advantages they will only find at this event.

“The Fall EXPO is an exciting opportunity to network with multiple recruiters from various areas,” Golden said. “When else will you have access to more than 230 employers and 600 recruiters all in one location?”

Jackson said one of the most notable differences this year from previous is the sheer amount of employers, recruiters and opportunities for students.

“This year’s EXPO is one of the largest to date,” Jackson said. “Additionally, this is one of the most diverse EXPOs we have had in terms of the types of companies and the varieties of opportunities for students from all majors.”

Golden, too, said these employers are seeking University students from a wide variety of majors.

“Networking is so important for career opportunities,” she said. “When you come to EXPO, you get the chance to meet face-to-face with company representatives and ask them questions. You never know where a good conversation with a recruiter can lead to in terms of future career success.”

“We are excited about the opportunity for students to network and connect with the large variety of employers,” Jackson said. “We are looking forward to the exciting atmosphere of recruitment in action.”