Mary Wolfe dies on Oct. 23 at age 82

Mary Wolfe, a patron of the arts at the University, died Oct. 23 at age 82 at the ProMedica Toledo Hospital due to a stroke.

Wolfe, an alumna, artist and a faculty member at the University, is known for her and her husband Frederic’s [Fritz] donation of $1.5 million to build the Wolfe Center for the Arts in 2005.

“Mary and her husband, Fritz, have been long-standing supporters of BGSU,” said University President Mary Ellen Mazey. “Their contributions, especially for the construction of The Wolfe Center for the Arts, have made a lasting impression on the campus and our students. Her legacy will last for generations. Our deepest condolences go out to Fritz and the rest of Mary’s family.”

Wolfe received her master’s degree in art history and painting from the University in 1968. Wolfe taught art history and painting at the University until 1976. Wolfe was also the director of exhibitions for the McFall Center Gallery until the mid-1980s.

In 2011, Wolfe received the 2011 Governor’s Award for the Arts from the Ohio Arts Council. The award recognizes individuals and organizations that have helped the growth and development of the state’s cultural resources.

Wolfe’s research interests included classical Greek and Roman art and Italian art during the Renaissance. Wolfe also gave talks about art and art history to groups, along with making many trips abroad to see art.

Funeral arrangements for Wolfe are still being made.