Counseling Center offers various types of counseling

Counseling Center is open for walk-in hours Mondays through Fridays from 1:30-4 p.m.

While senior Paige Bricker hasn’t personally used the Counseling Center, she would let her friends know about what services are offered.

For students who are struggling or need someone to talk to, the Counseling Center is willing to help.

Located in College Park, the Counseling Center is free and open to students who are in need of counseling of any kind.

The center offers various kinds of counseling, from individuals, groups, couples and emergency services said Denise Litterer, the assistant director of the Counseling Center.

The center also offers suicide prevention, along with meetings for alcohol and drug use.

“There’s a group specifically designed for assisting students who have any types of questions related to alcohol use and marijuana use,” said Simone Young, a PhD student working with the Counseling Center.

When a student is interested in using the services offered by the center, they can go in during the walk-in hours, which are Mondays through Fridays, 1:30 p.m. through 4 p.m. At this time, students meet one-on-one with a counselor, where they will talk about what will work for the student.

What the counseling center wants to do is establish goals with the students.

“We establish [goals] with the student; everyone’s counseling looks a bit different, depending on what’s going on for them, what they’re looking for. We work jointly with students to set goals,” Litterer said. “Often students come in with their own goals and what they want to improve on.”

Students who are interested but do not know if counseling is for them can stop in and speak to someone and are not obligated to return, Young said.

Students can also call if they have any questions regarding the Counseling Center at 419-372-2081.

“[If] students have questions or concerns about that process [becoming involved with the center] and about scheduling, they can also call us and we can talk through it with them,” Litterer said.