President of GSS challenges graduates to get their voices heard, make changes in community

Dear University Graduate Students,

As President of the Graduate Student Senate, I would like to welcome each and every one of you to another exciting year here at the University. To those of you who are returning graduate students, I hope you had a long and enjoyable summer break. To those of you who are new to the University: welcome to the Falcon family and thank you for choosing the University to pursue your individual graduate studies.

As you prepare for the semester ahead, I encourage all of you to take advantage of the opportunities and resources that are out there for you. Despite being small in size, the city of Bowling Green is packed full of things to do that are within easy walking distance of the campus.

Looking for a good place to unwind and get a cup of coffee? Check out Grounds for Thought. Want to catch the latest new movie and pay small prices? Check out the local Cinemark at the mall. Also, don’t forget to order some stuffed breadsticks from Campus Pollyeyes to see what all the fuss is about.

Ask your fellow students for other great suggestions to experience while you are studying here as well because there are so many more.

Not to be outdone, the University offers a plethora of opportunities and resources for graduate students to check out as well. Throughout the school year, the University offers a variety of concerts, athletic events, theater productions and so much more. Want to cool down? Then head on over to Pinkberry in The Oaks, the only one in the state of Ohio

Looking to workout? Check out the renovated Student Recreation Center that is re-opening this fall. The University also offers services in counseling, money management, tutoring and research assistance, to name a few.

Another opportunity available for graduate students is the Graduate Student Senate. GSS serves as an advocate and a liaison for the graduate student body between the administration, staff, faculty, undergraduates and the community at large. In addition, we provide numerous opportunities throughout the year for social interaction and professional development. GSS also provides funding support for conference travel.

This year alone promises to be a very exciting and hopefully rewarding time for GSS, I would highly recommend checking it out and joining if you are interested in serving.

To all of my fellow graduate students, I challenge all of you to listen, to learn, to laugh and to love. But most importantly of all, I challenge you to make your voices heard and to remember that what you do matters.

Each one of you are unique, yet you all have one thing in common: you are all graduate students at the University right now. Be proud of what makes you unique, but remember you are all a family now as well.

All of you make up a growing minority of those who wish to gain knowledge and go farther not only in their careers, but also in their lives. That knowledge that you gain every day gives you power. The power to make a difference. The power to create change. The power to make this world a better place.

Alice Walker says, “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” That’s why you need to make your voices heard and remember what you do matters. No matter what people tell you, your words and ideas can change this campus, this town, this state, this nation and even this world.

If you have an idea, a concern, an issue or anything at all that you feel should be addressed by or for the graduate students here at the University, my door is always open. I look forward to working with you; thank you again for choosing the University and welcome to the Falcon Family.

Be a noble Falcon and Roll Along.

Michael Smith

GSS