University continues to enforce clean air policy

The University campus has been smoke-free since the Clean Air Policy went into effect in January.

The Clean Air Policy says that smoking is not permitted anywhere on campus besides in personal vehicals and select designated smoking areas scattered throughout campus near parking lots, said Faith Yingling, director of wellness.

Both she and Vice President of Student Affairs Jill Carr said the policy and enforcement have gone very well.

“The most interesting part is I haven’t heard anything negative from smokers,” Yingling said.

Despite the Clean Air Policy being in effect since January, there have been no official reports to the University Police, said Captain Mike Campbell.

“There have been no formal complaints, but an officer would address it if they see it,” he said.

Even though there haven’t been any official reports, Yingling has heard of and received emails reporting locations where others have seen people breaking the policy.

“We put more signs in the area to educate and let others know about the policy,” she said.

In order to enforce the policy, Carr says it’s a “community approach.”

“We all need to embrace this,” she said. “Just remind the person this is a smoke-free campus.”

If someone sees another smoking at a non-designated area, Carr recommends thinking about the level of comfort one has about approaching another.

“If they do [feel comfortable] then go ahead and remind them about the policy,” she said. “But if they don’t, then they can ask for help from someone else.”

Another thing students or staff can do if they don’t feel comfortable approaching someone is to email Yingling the location of the smoker at [email protected].

“Let me know where it’s occurring and we will put more signage there for a friendly reminder,” she said.

The policy will be up for review spring semester and a committee will decide if any changes will need to be made, Carr said.

“One interesting thing that may be brought up to consider in the annual review are e-cigs,” Yingling said.

Also, if students are trying to quite smoking, the University has several resources available to them, she said.

“Unfortunately, many students start smoking in college,” she said. “But if people are trying to quit, the counseling center and the Wood County Hospital are great resources.”

In order to find the map with designated areas or resources for smokers trying to quite, go to www.bgsu.edu/cleanair.