Tips to stay warm on campus

With wind chills reaching into the negative numbers the past few days, the University has been urging students, staff and faculty to stay warm.

But as any concerned student would be while making the walk across campus to get somewhere, I would like to know how I should be staying warm as suggested.

According to a news source article, ways to stay warm vary from eating foods high in healthy fats [such as nuts], to sipping on warm drinks [the perfect excuse to go to Starbucks], to just getting up and moving.

But while you’re making that special trip to Starbucks, make it worthwhile.

Leave with enough time to spare. For example, leave for class early to give yourself time for unseen circumstances, such as slow walking due to icy sidewalks or roads.

Then there is how to dress appropriately. Layers are important and easy to remove once you’re inside. Also, wearing clothing that will trap body heat is important too.

Most of all, ensure you’re not outside for extended amounts of time. It’s easy to get across certain parts of campus just by walking through buildings that are connected or have the walk-ways to do so.

In the end, just make sure you’re warm and comfortable. Don’t go out of your way to get something or do something. Stay safe out there.

Respond to Cassie at