Meaningful connections end loneliness

The human need. The things we all have in common.

It doesn’t matter where you grew up, how many siblings you have, what your dreams are, the basic needs of human beings remain.

To be loved, to have purpose, to not be alone. The feeling of loneliness is a feeling many people spend their whole lives trying to counteract.

Everyone simply just wants to have that feeling that they are cared about by someone, anyone. The troubling thing though is when we substitute real, true connection with a fake one.

Our generation especially looks to earn satisfaction and wholeness from social media outlooks. We feel alone when our tweets and selfies go unliked or unfavorited.

Constantly updating our lives through a screen, affirming to others that we have friends, that we go out and we matter. It’s comical, in a sense, watching people scurry to get out their smart phones and snap selfie after selfie and group picture after group picture of their “crazy” and noteworthy weekends.

If you think about it, why do we feel the need to let everyone know our plans? Does anyone actually care? Or is it simply a race of who can appear to have the most friends, who can look as if they’ve never experienced that feeling of loneliness.

It’s inevitable, loneliness.

I speak from experience. I could list example after example of times I’ve been at a party or with a group of friends and felt as if I was the only person in the room.

I hid it of course, as most do, and pretended to have a good time, pretended as if I felt connected with the group of individuals that surrounded me.

We settle for pretending our friends care about us, for fear of being alone, instead of seeking people that truly do. Seek those people, and also, be that person.

Don’t be worried about posting how you’re having a good time, and how you love your friends, actually have a good time and truly love those around you.

Respond to Kayla at