National Suicide Prevention Month

Ben Cook | Reporter

As August comes to an end, it is important to be mindful that September is National Suicide Prevention Month. 

Throughout the month of September, the Wellness Connection at BGSU has put together a variety of events in order to bring awareness to bring BGSU and the community together to spread love and awareness throughout this difficult time for so many. 

The Mental Health Recovery Clothing Drive ranges from Sept. 5 through Oct. 7. During this time, everyone is encouraged to donate clothing and hygiene products for recipients of mental health services in Wood County. 

The items go directly to the Wood County Crisis Center, but there are multiple drop off points such as the Bowen-Thompson Student Union, the Mileti Alumni Center, the Wellness Connection at the Student Recreation Center and all of the residence halls on campus.

The Suicide Loss Awareness Display will be available for viewing from Sept. 12 to Sept. 16. This display of flags will be visible on the lawn between the Jerome Library and the Education Building, and they represent national statistics of college students that have been lost to suicide. Each flag will represent five lives lost.

The Suicide Prevention and Remembrance Walk will take place Tuesday Sept. 13 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. at the Union Oval. Mental health resources, awareness ribbons, self-care items and therapy dogs will be available at this event.

A full calendar of events taking place is available for viewing on the BGSU Wellness website. 

If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, contact the Counseling Center at 419-372-2081. In case of an emergency, please refer to the Wood County Crisis Line at 419-502-4673. The Crisis Line is a 24/7 functional line for residents of Wood County.