The Hatch makes improvement to program

The Hatch has made changes to this year’s program in order to make it more accessible to more people and to cast a larger net for ideas.

For this year’s Hatch, graduate students will be able to participate, teams of three can apply, talent can register, a “scrambler” round will be added to narrow the pool and three credit hours will be added to the ten hatchlings’ transcripts.

The Hatch is announcing changes being made to this year’s Hatch program through word of mouth.

Michael Ogawa, Founding Vice President of Research and Economic Development, said the changes were implemented to attract more than just business majors.

“We want to cast a wider net,” Ogawa said. “The Hatch provides the opportunities for all students to make a difference.”

Victor Senn, USG President, said he “really likes the changes.”

“I think the changes are awesome because it makes the program accessible to everyone,” Senn said.

He said he thinks the changes will allow people who don’t necessarily want to be front and center to still showcase their passions.

Kirk Kern, Director of the Dallas Hamilton Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership, said he is hoping to initially get as many ideas as possible through “word of mouth marketing.”

He described The Hatch process as a funnel.

During the first stage of the funnel, Kern said they would like as many people as possible to submit an application, 25 of which will be chosen as participants.

The 25 applicants will be narrowed down to ten hatchlings, during the “scrambler” on November 12.

At the “scrambler,” the chosen hatchlings will be able to network with the chosen talent to see if they would like some of them to join their team.

Kern said people who think they have a skill, which could be useful to potential hatchlings, apply in a similar manner to the hatchlings themselves.

An example of a talent is someone who is good at graphic design, Kern said.

Once the hatchlings are chosen they will be matched up with an alumni who will mentor them through the program.

In previous years, the program added one credit hour to the participants’ schedules.

Since students were compromising their class schedules to participate, they will now be offered 3 credit hours, Kern said

At the official Hatch event on April 17, the ten hatchlings and their teams will present their ideas to a panel of alumni investors.

Kern noted that a common misconception among the community is that the program creates businesses.

“The Hatch turns ideas into presentations, not companies,” he said.

He said the next step after The Hatch is proof of concept, which is showing how the company or product would be effective in the real world.

Kern also said he is not exactly sure how these ideas will do, but they are excited to find out.

“We may not have any team members at the final event or we may have ten hatchling teams,” he said.

To apply for The Hatch or as talent, visit bgsu.edu/thehatch. The deadline to apply is October 26 at p.m.