Falcon’s score 48 points in a win against the Maryland Terps

The Bowling Green football team handed the Maryland Terrapins one of its worst losses in years on Saturday, defeating the Terps 48-27 on Maryland’s home field.

The win came behind another career night from quarterback Matt Johnson, who threw six touchdowns and 491 passing yards.

“If we think we can attack a team a certain way, that’s the way we’re going to go about it,” Johnson said. “In the first half you have to tip your hat to them, they were able to make stops. But in the second half we made our adjustments and we were able to execute them.”

The Falcons scored just six points in the first half and went into halftime on a 13-6 deficit, despite having the advantage in yardage.

Following a 55 minute rain delay to start the second half, it was the Bowling Green defense that put the team into position to rack up possessions.

The defense that gave up 59 points just a week

ago, held Maryland to 14 points in the second half and forced four turnovers.

“When you give us turnovers, you’re playing with dynamite,” head coach Dino Babers said.

The Falcon defense allowed coach Babers’ high-tempo offense to fit in 105 plays to Maryland’s 59. The Falcons also gained 692 total yards, which is the most under Babers and just 14 yards shy of a school record, to the Terrapin’s 341.

Sophomore receiver Roger Lewis was the target of two touchdown passes and recorded a career high 200 receiving yards from Johnson.

“I haven’t had a game like this since high school,” Lewis said. “Matt Johnson was able to spread the love around.”

In addition to Lewis, Johnson also connected on touchdown passes with Robbie Rhodes, Ryan Burbrink, Derek Lee and Gehrig Dieter. Four of those touchdowns came in the fourth quarter.

The other offensive highlight was the ground game for the Falcons, with Fred Coppet rushing for 109 yards on 15 carries. Redshirt senior Travis Greene, who is one of the best running backs to ever put on the Falcon uniform, gained just 65 yards on 18 carries.

While the yardage (which was an average 3.6 yards per carry) was less than what Greene is used to, he still managed to add a touchdown to the board on a three yard run.

The win is the second straight year that Bowling Green has defeated a team in the Big Ten Conference.

It was also the first road win against a Power Five Conference team since 2008.

“I was happy for the defensive kids, I was happy for the defensive coaches,” Babers said. “I was happy for our football team.”