Brooke Pleger is nominated for NCAA award

Alumni Brooke Pleger has been named a nominee for the NCAA Woman of the Year award.

Pleger graduated May 2015 with a degree in nursing.

The three-time All-American finished third at the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field National Championships for the hammer throw after leading the country in the event for most of the year.

During the indoor season she finished the weight throw ranked 17th in the country.

Pleger also won her third consecutive Mid-American Conference for hammer throw in the spring, where she broke records for the MAC Championship and overall MAC records.

Of the 480 nominees for the award, 207 were NCAA Division I athletes.

Each member school is encouraged to submit the top graduating female student-athlete for the honor before the conference assesses the athlete’s eligibility.

The conference may select up to two conference nominees.

The Woman of the Year selection committee then selects the top 30 nominees, 10 from each division.

The top three from each division are then selected and the finalists will be announced in September before the top athlete is selected. The top 30 nominees will be honored at the annual awards ceremony in Indianapolis on Oct. 18.