Sarah Hammond remembered after I-75 car crash

Sarah Hammond
Sarah Hammond

When Sarah Hammond went to college, her mom, Libby, gave her a piece of advice.

“I told her when she went to college,” Libby said. “You need to have as many girlfriends as you can because, you know, boyfriends come and go but you need to have girlfriends because girlfriends last forever.”

Sarah went through rush to join a sorority immediately after arriving at the University.

Sarah, 21, and a junior at the University, died on March 2, in the Interstate 75 crash.

It seems that Sarah took her mother’s advice, as she was a good friend, she listened and she was always there when her friends needed her.

“Even if she didn’t know what to say, she’d laugh and it would make you feel better,” said one of her best friends, junior Julie Rego.

Sarah, from Yellow Springs, Ohio, loved being at the University and she loved her friends. She’d spend time with her friends whenever she could, even staying in Bowling Green during the summers to be with them.

Her friends Sophie Rix and Rego were always with her.

Something Rego remembers the most about Sarah is her laugh and her smile.

“[They’re] basically the connecting factor between every story and every memory,” Rego said.

Rego described Sarah’s personality as caring, easygoing and happy.

“She was just full of life,” she said.

The three friends spent all their free time together, Rix said.

“We always said we were the three best friends from ‘The Hangover,’” Rix said.

Sarah enjoyed watching TV and just hanging out with her friends. Rix remembers watching countless episodes of SpongeBob with Sarah.

“’But he was number one,’” Rix said, quoting their favorite line from the show. “SpongeBob said it to Mr. Krabs. We would always say it to each other.”

Rix and Sarah would also joke about who was Patrick and who was SpongeBob.

“I was always Patrick,” Rix said.

Rego remembers sleeping in Sarah’s room every Tuesday night because they both had that night free. They’d watch movies and just hangout.

It was no secret that Sarah was a “shopaholic.” She loved shopping and dressing up, said her older sister, Katie Hammond.

Her love of fashion and dressing up started early, Libby said. She always loved the Disney princesses growing up and enjoyed dressing up like Jasmine. Her favorite holiday was Halloween, not just for the candy, which she also loved, but for the opportunity to dress up, Katie said.

Her love of dressing up extended to her relationship with her sister as well, as Katie remembers Sarah ‘borrowing’ her clothes and dressing up like her.

“She’d try nonchalantly to do things like me,” Katie said.

Sarah got her ears pierced like Katie and dyed her hair darker soon after Katie did.

Katie would also see pictures of Sarah, in which Sarah was wearing Katie’s clothes.

Sarah worked at White House Black Market, where she got a discount and would bring clothes home with her almost every day she worked, Rego said.

“We both liked to shop but she shopped way more than I did,” Rego said.

The girls in the Alpha Xi Delta house, where Sarah lived, also became used to the three or four packages she would receive each week, which included clothes and shoes Sarah bought from eBay, Rix said.

It was known that she had the best closet in the Alpha Xi Delta house, Rix said, and as a result, she let the other girls borrow her clothes and gave them fashion advice.

“She told me one time that the girls would come to her room sophomore year and ask her if things go with each other,” Libby said. “She knew what went together.”

Sarah also helped people put clothes together at her job.

“She helped people pick things out that go together and she knew people’s body types,” Libby said. “She could just help them buy clothes that looked good on them.”

Fashion wasn’t just a hobby for Sarah; it would also become her career, as she was majoring in apparel merchandising and product development at the University.

“She loved [her major],” Rego said. “She was good at it, it came easily to her. It wasn’t stressful.”

Phyllis Henry, a lecturer in family and consumer sciences, was one of Sarah’s teachers.

“She was a sweet girl,” Henry said. “I enjoyed her in class, she continually gave her opinion.”

Sarah would listen and try to help her friends sort out problems they faced, but she still stood her ground, and she would stand up for her friends if they needed it, Rix said.

Sarah was someone many felt like they could talk to and who related to everyone, and as Rix and Rego said, she will be missed.

“She laughed all the time,” Rix said. “She had a huge, gorgeous smile, the girl smiled constantly.”

She was easy to talk to about problems, Rix said.

“She was always giving, always there and she always gave 110 percent of her heart in everything she did,” Rego said.