Advocate for need to moderate

“Everything is good in moderation — including moderation.”

While interviewing a woman this summer to obtain information for a story, she uttered this quote a few minutes into our casual conversation.

Although I never printed her statement — it was relevant to our trust-building small talk, but not my assignment — the borderline cliché is arguably one of the most influential things someone has said to me during an interview.

I wonder, is it true?

Would it be best if all things were done in moderation, as the old saying advocates?

Or, in further conversation, is it acceptable to occasionally succumb to the instinct to overindulge?

Initially, I logged the woman’s statement in the back of my mind. But it still lingers in my thoughts, surfacing now and again when the time is right.

The statement surfaced quite often this past week, in several unique, but applicable situations.

An example: After learning Friday I landed a post-graduation job at a great small market newspaper, I darted to the city’s downtown bars that night to indulge in its alcohol-based offerings.

Three nights in a row, I enjoyed dancing and drinking with different groups of friends, some of whom I hadn’t seen in several weeks.

At the time, my well-deserved celebration was wonderful, fun and carefree.

But by Monday afternoon, when I cringed at the sight of a friend consuming a margarita at a local Mexican restaurant, I realized too much of a good thing is certainly possible.

Based on my weekend experiences, I’d argue the woman I interviewed was right.

Although people know moderation is good and usually desired, often it’s something we don’t realize until we’re analyzing a situation in clear hindsight. The occasional stint of overindulgence keeps us on track.

Another example: When my favorite band released a new CD this week, I was able to blissfully listen to it as a complete package because I hadn’t spoiled any of its tracks with Internet leaks.

The last time the band put out an album, however, I overplayed nearly half of its tracks a few months prior to its release date, making the debut much less meaningful. The disappointment certainly taught me a lesson in self-control.

Again, I think this is what my interviewee meant by “moderating moderation.”

It’s human nature to enjoy something in excess if it’s available.

But each time we overindulge, during our aftershock analysis, we’re reminded how important it is to moderate.

I’m sure I’m not alone in my experiences.

Many of us have witnessed friends take in too much alcohol in one sitting or children consume their entire bag of Halloween candy in one night.

Likewise, most University students have heard stories of best friends who chose to live together during college and, by the end of the semester, couldn’t stand to look at one another.

We all know how those stories end: with hangovers, tummy aches and hurt feelings.

These things, understandably, sound very negative.

However, I think these unfortunate circumstances serve a purpose: They’re necessary reminders to keep people on track.

Occasionally, splurging adds color to our lives and makes moments memorable — a celebratory bar crawl, a night of downtown trick-or-treating or the days spent getting to know a new friend by spending limitless time with them — but it doesn’t constitute an everyday lifestyle.

Eventually, however, that splurging teaches us that balance is key.

We soon realize the buzz from an alcoholic beverage every few weeks is better than daily binging.

We learn that eating only one piece of candy per day makes it taste that much sweeter.

We affirm that days spent away from friends make days spent with them much more meaningful.

And, ultimately, we learn that everything is good when moderated — including moderation itself.

Respond to Alissa at