Council to introduce chicken ordinance

Despite city council’s 4-3 decision to introduce an ordinance that would allow egg-laying chickens in the city limits, one chicken owner is giving up her plight.

Laura Sanchez, who owns two chickens named Thelma and Louise, said she is giving ownership of her chickens to friends outside of town.

Sanchez has owned her chickens for five years.

She said she was tired of the insults she received from people telling her to “leave town” and “get a life.”

City council and the planning commission has been discussing the ordinance change since June.

The Planning Commission gave a final 7-0 recommendation against changing the current ordinance in October.

Under the current ordinance agricultural farm animals are prohibited from living within city limits, which chickens are categorized under.

The new ordinance that was drafted would allow chickens, but impose strict regulations on owners in order to keep the chickens maintained. Some of the regulations include written consent from adjacent property owners, the purchase of a yearly permit and a proper enclosure to house the chickens.

The introduction of the legislation was not met without opposition from Mayor Richard Edwards and community members.

There is a clear-cut majority of voices against any change to the ordinance, Edwards said.

“The most vocal and pointed voices in opposition to a change in the existing ordinance typically have been citizens who have an agricultural or animal care background,” he said.

One community member said council is acting on the ordinance prematurely.

The language of the ordinance is vague and city council should not even consider introducing legislation that isn’t even complete, said Resident Ed Connell.

The new legislation will be introduced at the Dec. 3 meeting. It currently has a 12-month sunset clause, which allows the ordinance to be reviewed and possibly revoked at the end of the 12-month period, said John Zanfardino, Second Ward council member.

The mayor has the power to veto the legislation should it pass, but council can override it with a 60 percent vote in favor.