Health center offers students a massage

Students feeling burdened with the responsibilities of college life can unwind and relax with a massage in the Student Health Center.

Marlene Reynolds, assistant director for business at the health center, said that massages were first offered at the University in the spring semester of 2012 based on surveys given to students about what new resources they would like to have on campus.

“Massages are offered at other universities to help students, so we wanted to add that resource to our campus as well,” Reynolds said. “We want to do whatever we can to help students. That’s what we’re here for.”

Students can schedule an appointment for Monday or Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m, according to the University’s Student Health Service. The cost for a 30-minute massage is $35 and gift certificates may also be purchased.

Rebecca Walls, massage therapist, has been in private practice for 12 years before working for the Student Health Center. Walls massages where students have the most pain to help get rid of problem areas.

“Stress is the number one obstacle to academic performance because of its interference with sleep and concentration,” Walls said.

Students’ stress is especially more evident during the winter season because of its affect on their immune systems, which leads to more people getting sick, Walls said.

Walls said she was inspired to go into therapy by her own massage therapist.

She first worked at Wood County Hospital and then transferred into business before her therapist suggested combining her two professions and going into private practice.

“There are many benefits from getting a massage,” Walls said.

Such advantages include relaxed muscles and released tension caused from stress or injury. Massages can also help people who suffer from anorexia, depression and headaches along with other aches and pains.

“I love what I do and want to stay in this field for the rest of my life,” Walls said. “The best part is that I get to help people feel better, and when you feel better, you’re more productive.”

Students can schedule an appointment online by following the “Health Center Online Appointment” link on MyBGSU or by calling 419-372-2272. For more information, visit the Student Health Services website at http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/sa/health/.