‘I Am Every Woman’ encourages women to be comfortable with themselves

Women of color were inspired and encouraged to be comfortable with themselves at an event called “I Am Every Woman.”

The National Association of the Advancement of Colored People hosted the event on Monday, October 8 in the Union.

“No one can define you. You know who you are as a woman,” Jasmine Jennings, secretary of the NAACP, said.

Ashley Ross, who is in charge of fund raising for the group, began the meeting with a discussion about make-up, and asked questions about the stereotypes that come with wearing or choosing not to wear make-up.

The group commented on how wearing no make-up can make you look lazy and wearing too much make-up can you make you look promiscuous.

Make-up does not define you or your femininity, Jennings said.

“As long as you’re happy and confident, people will gravitate toward that positivity.” Ross said.

The next topic discussed was labeled, “Embody your body”. Taylor Harrel, treasurer, and Kelci Smith, sergeant at arms, brought up points of what a women’s body is expected to look like in today’s society, and said that a small percentage of women actually look like what is considered beautiful. They shared facts such as the average pant size of women in America is a fourteen, and Jessica Simpson, who is a size ten, lost sponsors because of her weight.

“Be comfortable with who you are,” said Jennifer Bryant, an antendee. “You don’t always have to be losing weight, you can tone your body too.”

Harrel and Smith wrapped up their portion of the meeting with “How to dress your body type”.

Courtney Bell, event planner, and Erica Sims, vice president, transitioned into “Breast Cancer Awareness”. They gave information about breast cancer and how it could affect everyone in the group. One of the attendees shared a personal story on how they had thought they had breast cancer in high school, went through therapy, and later found out that they didn’t actually have cancer, but something else. She emphasized the importance of checking yourself just to be safe.

Victoria Jameson, in charge of public relations, and Gabrielle Dawson, in charge of community service, shared tips on hair, and whether women should leave it natural or unnatural. Members of the group gave their input on what was considered beautiful with their hair, and why they wear their hair the way they do. This led the discussion into the last topic, “What true beauty means”.

Danica Jones, president, and Ariel Crump, public relations, ended the meeting by getting feedback about what beauty meant to the group and how it could be defined.

“Every one of you is beautiful,” Jones said.

Jones concluded with inspirational quotes and invited attendees to stay and talk or gather more information on joining NAACP.

“I thought the meeting was very helpful,” said Luneeka Sherrod, an attendee.

She said her favorite part was talking about beauty and not judging people by their looks.

“It reaffirmed everything I was taught growing up.” Sherrod said.