Falcon 4 Entertainment: Week of March 21

Falcon 4 Entertainment Graphic

Movie

‘Turning Red’

In the latest Pixar release, “Turning Red” focuses on a 13-year-old Chinese Canadian girl named Mei Lee. Growing up, Lee is an A+ student and an overachiever who wants to please her mother. But the only thing she truly wants is to be viewed as a mature woman. Little does she know, something else is in store for her. This movie focuses on overwhelming family expectations, crushes, friendships, puberty and girls getting their first period. As a coming-of-age tale, it focuses on Lee’s perspective of growing up and leaving the nest, but still wanting to please her family and especially her mother. “Turning Red” is streaming now on Disney Plus. 

Series

‘Big Little Lies’

When it comes to girl power and women in the spotlight on the big screen, it doesn’t get more fierce than “Big Little Lies.” Based on the book, actresses such as Reese Witherspoon, Zoe Kravitz, Nicole Kidman, Laura Dern and Shailene Woodley play a group of mothers brought together by their children. This Hulu series is a darkly comedic tale of murder and mischief. Told through the eyes of three mothers, the series focuses on societal myths on perfection and how it romanticizes marriage, sex, parenting and friendship. Released in 2017, there are two seasons streaming on Hulu now.

Album

‘Dua Lipa’ by Dua Lipa

Released in June 2017, the self-titled album by Dua Lipa explores many topics from images of love, self-image and empowerment for women of all ages. In one of the album’s most popular songs “New Rules,” she sings about how to stay strong after a break-up, but still empowers and motivates young listeners who may be dealing with similar issues. Dua Lipa has been known to surround herself with other powerful women and celebrate female empowerment.

Book

‘Anne of Green Gables’ by Lucy Maud Montgomery

In a heartwarming story of an eleven-year-old orphan, Anne Shirley is a skinny girl who has bright red hair that makes her stick out like a rose in a field of grass. Anne is a feisty dreamer who only wants to live life to the fullest. When she arrived at Prince Edward Island, she meets Matthew and Marilla Cuthberts. The elderly brother and sister, originally expecting a boy to adopt, were greeted by Anne. But before they can send her back she wins them over. This novel explores the vulnerability, expectations and dreams of a child wanting a family and a place to call home while also spreading love.