Rugby, rolling on all cylinders, welcomes Ball State for first time since 2010

The BG rugby team is now rolling on all cylinders, as the season is in full swing.

After winning its first two regular season games despite some early struggles, the Falcons are ready to show people that the program is back to its powerhouse reputation.

The team will host the Ball State Cardinals this weekend. Ball State is coming off a disappointing showing against Ohio, as it lost 68-24 on its own turf.

The Falcons and Cardinals haven’t played each other since fall 2010. BG won both games that year 104-0 and 85-10.

The team is not overlooking Ball State this year. Falcons’ locks Ed Luther and Corey Ruth know what it will take to win this game on Saturday.

“We aren’t taking any games for granted,” Luther said. “We are taking this season one week at a time, so there is no overlooking any of these teams.”

The rugby team is winning games, but it’s still a process in the making. They are trying to integrate their new offensive system, and it’s a lot to handle especially for the freshmen on the squad.

“If we play the way we have been practicing and hitting the holes versus our old type of play, we will come out with the victory,” Ruth said.

It’s important for Luther and Ruth to make sure they provide time for the backs to set up and run the offense.

The Falcons will have to play the full 80 minutes. This past week, Northern Illinois jumped out to a 12-0 lead, so the players know they have to be ready to play from the start this weekend.

Coach Mazzarella knows he has to rally his team before the game and make sure they are focused in the first half.

The Falcons have a good reputation as a rugby powerhouse, but their recent reputation is that they seem to underestimate their opponents. The coaches and team captains know that has to change for them to win the Mid-American Conference.

The team knows they are the favorite to win the MAC conference yet again, especially with the addition of the manager of the London Wasps, Dave Larham, coaching the forwards.

Both teams will be looking to make a statement to build upon the rest of the season. The game will be Saturday at 1 p.m. at College Park, and there will also be updates throughout the game on the team’s twitter page, @BGSUMensRugby.