Campus organizations offer unique events, ice breakers for students

Just because you are new to campus doesn’t mean it can’t feel like home.

Getting involved with student organizations early is the best way to fill the gap between yourself and the campus community.

One way to do this is by simply checking out bulletin boards around town or on campus.

Organizations are consistently promoting icebreakers and events this time of year. Take advantage of anything that pops out. If you have a unique interest, there’s a group for it.

Another way to get involved is by attending Campus Fest on Aug. 30.

The event offers everyone the chance to meet and sign up for any of the 300 organizations on campus. You can also get a lot of free stuff and coupons along the way.

For some of our staff members, Campus Fest was their first introduction to The BG News.

Similar to the newsroom, a place in 210 West Hall that our staff calls home, other organizations are just as accepting of anybody new to campus.

The BG News’ staff of reporters, photographers and designers are able to interact with people on campus and make new friends while preparing for their post-college careers.

The University’s organizations are all diverse, allowing students to find their niche while adjusting to new environments.

Even though we produce the newspaper, we are not all Journalism majors. The newsroom is full of creative writers, photographers and future psychologists and educators.

Even if you’re not a news writer, it doesn’t mean you can’t get involved with us.

Now, while it’s important to get active early, make sure you don’t overload your schedule.

In fact, The News recommends new students only get involved with two or three organizations at most. It’s important to find a balance among classes, extra-curricular activities and social life.

Finding the perfect balance will enhance your college experience, prepare you for the real world and make you feel right at home on campus.

Four years from now, the organizations you joined will not only help to provide the professional support you need but they’ll always welcome you back to campus for homecoming.

Respond to The News at