Hockey improves with win over Alaska-Fairbanks

unknown

Connor Kucena , BG defenseman, tries to regain possession of the puck for BG against Darik Angeli, an Ohio State forward.

This past weekend the BG hockey team snapped its 12-game losing streak. after splitting the series against Alaska-Fairbanks.

It also snapped a five-game losing streak against the Nanooks that dated back to the 2008-09 season.

Berkle on the rise

Freshman Adam Berkle has been playing at a high level the whole season. Recently he has been cashing in on his opportunities to record points.

Berkle is currently on a three-game point streak after recording two points in Friday’s game and scoring the lone goal for the Falcons on Saturday. The streak is the longest of his career.

Berkle has great potential if he is intense all the time like he is in practice, Coach Chris Bergeron said.

“He has some grit to him,” Bergeron said. “Just like every freshman, he is trying to find some consistency every day.”

The men behind the assists

Freshman Ryan Carpenter and sophomore Cam Wojtala both have recorded 10 assists on the season to lead the Falcons. Wojtala is just one assist away from his total last season.

Hammond finally gets off the snide

Andrew Hammond has never beaten Alaska-Fairbanks in his four previous tries. The win Friday night gives Hammond a 1-4-0 record against the Nanooks.

The win also gave Hammond his seventh win of the season. With his seventh win, he has set a career high in wins, beating his record of six last season.

Marc Rodriguez is back

Junior Marc Rodriguez has been on fire since he returning from injury. He has scored two goals in the last six games played, including a short-handed goal against Ohio State and a power-play goal against Alaska-Fairbanks.