Local band has high hopes for Future

A cello, violin, bass, guitar, drums, and vocals may seem like an odd combination of instruments, but for the band, Modern Hollows, they make it all work together. With influences from music groups like Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, and The Head and the Heart, the band is trying to get their own music out into the world.

Lead singer, Ben Glasure shared how he started the group last October.

“There is a group on campus called Root’s Music Club and I met the members through there,” Glasure said. “Each of them I liked and found pretty unique and special people that would gel well together. We are the only arrangement of instruments this area has ever had and we thought it could work.”

The groups’ first gig was at the University for Relay for Life. Modern Hollows faced some hardships with their balance with all of their instruments.

“It was unbalanced. You couldn’t hear the cello, I was too loud,” Glasure said. “Our music is based a lot on dynamics so it was a really bad show.”  

After the Relay for Life performance, the band started to grow more comfortable around each other when they started to record their untitled EP. Although they grew a lot, the recording experience was not always pleasant.

“It was fun, frustrating, and annoying,” guitarist Eddie Melikian said.

While the band was in agreement with what Melikain said, Glasure had a more positive outcome.

“We got really good as a band. Our trust level and our sound grew,” Glasure said.

Cellist for the group, Devonte Stovall said that he and violinist, Anna Eyink, have grown as a string section since the first time they played together.

“From the strings perspective, it has been fun growing with Anna. Before this, we were soloists and I think get a lot from each other when it comes to improvising together and planning things out,” Stovall said.

Modern Hollows writes all of their material. It is a collective effort with Glasure writing most of the lyrics and everyone writing their own parts for each song.

When the band started to write more songs, they found that their original name, ‘Wood n’ Strings’ did not fit the type of music they were producing.

“Wood n’ Strings gave the impression that we were a country band,” Melikian said.

“We thought that Modern Hollows was better because you don’t associate it with a certain sound which is good because we don’t have one set sound,” Glasure said. “We have a unique set of music.”

Anna Eyink, the only female in Modern Hollows shared what it is like to be in a bad with all males.

“Most of my siblings and friends are guys so it’s not anything I’m not used to,” Eyink said. “They’re really fun I enjoy being ‘band mom,’ even if they do drive me crazy.”

Getting more comfortable as a group and putting in a lot of hours made them more prepared for their gig at Howard’s Club H for Battle of the Bands where they placed second overall in the competition.

“It was the first time it really came together and I felt like the crowd responded well to us,” Glasure said.

Long term goals for the group are to play outside of Bowling Green and play as festivals. They want to see how far they can get. Glasure plans for this group to stay together for a while.

“After I graduate, I will try to get a teaching job in the area, Demonte, lives in the area, and Anna, Eddie, and Sterling (drummer) are all freshman,” Glasure said.

All of the members have high hopes for the band and are along for the journey of wherever Modern Hollows takes them.

“I know it is going to work because of the great musicians,” Glasure said. It’s not necessary just about the music you make. If you have the right people together, you can blend any instruments.”

Modern Hollow’s next performance will be at Howard’s Club H on the 29th with other local band, Indian Opinion.