Volleyball continues seven-match winning streak

The Falcons volleyball team continued their seven-match winning streak over the weekend, defeating the Eastern Michigan Eagles 3-1 on Friday night before beating the Central Michigan Chippewas 3-0 on Saturday night.

Friday’s match began with Eastern Michigan jumping out to an early lead, taking the first set 28-26, however, from then on it would be all Falcons. In the second set, the team took advantage of an early six point rally to go on to win 25-19. The third set saw neither team have a significant edge over the other throughout most of the set, until a late four point rally from the Falcons gave them a 25-20 win in the set, as well as putting them just one win away from taking the match. In the fourth set, the team did just that, taking it 25-20 as well by holding off a pair of Eastern Michigan rallies to win the match 3-1.

“We built some momentum by the end of the first set that carried into the second,” Tomic said. “I didn’t want to go into the locker room two sets down against this team and how well they were playing, so it was a great way to win that second set and going into the locker room we made some adjustments.”

On Saturday, the team got off to a strong start with a 25-16 victory in the first set, then following it up with another 25-16 victory in the second. With the team ahead by two early, they stopped any threat of a Central Michigan comeback by taking the third and final set with a convincing 25-10 win, sweeping the match 3-0.

“Our blocking was outstanding,” Tomic said. “We were very disciplined, we had a good game plan, but our blockers were just very disciplined and they executed the game plan.”

Saturday’s match was also the team’s seventh straight victory of the season, all of them against MAC opponents. This is also the team’s longest winning streak against MAC teams since they won eight in a row in 2012.

“We’re not talking about streaks,” Tomic said. “I never feel like we’re defending something, our attitude is we are attacking. We have to attack behind the serving line, attacking defensively in every way and that’s what’s been the key for our success.”

The team will next play on Friday and Saturday night, on the road against the Ball State Cardinals and the Toledo Rockets respectively.