Falcon 4 Entertainment: Week of October 11

F4E1
F4E1

TV Show

Squid Game‘ (2021)

As Bong Joon-Ho, director of the Oscar-winning movie “Parasite,” said, “Once you overcome the 1-inch tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films.”This can be said for Netflix’s latest hit show, ‘Squid Game.’The main character, Seong Gi-Hun, is shown struggling to be a good father and son due to his overbearing gambling addiction. As his debt worsens, he gets a chance to join a series of children’s games to win a life changing amount of money. Gi-Hun agrees to take part, unaware of the psychological horror and challenges ahead. Its element of mystery and shock value is what makes this show so popular. Beware before you watch: the show is very gruesome and does not spare the viewer from seeing all the gore and violence. 

Movie

Hocus Pocus‘ (1993)

Despite being reviewed poorly by critics when it was released, “Hocus Pocus” is now a classic Halloween movie for all ages. The story follows a teenage boy and his little sister as they accidentally wake up a trio of witches, known as the Sanderson Sisters. We watch as the siblings attempt to put an end to their reign. With a memorable soundtrack and lovable characters, this movie has the charming 90s cheesiness of low budget special effects and the classic high school bully. Despite the cliches, it has a compelling story and a bittersweet ending. The movie is available to watch on Disney+ and so will the upcoming sequel in 2022.

Book

The Song of Achilles‘ (2011)

This book is a retelling of the classic myth of Achilles, Greece’s greatest warrior during the Trojan War and the son of the sea goddess Thetis. This version of the tale focuses on the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus, his companion in his youth and throughout the war. Patroclus, who was exiled from his own kingdom, was taken in by Achilles and his royal family, where the two immediately became close. Though the novel is relatively slow paced, it offers a refreshing view on the extent of their relationship from a new perspective. 

Album

MONTERO‘ (2021)

“MONTERO” is the debut album of the well known rapper and singer Lil Nas X. A decent mix of pop and rap, this album proves X is more than just a one hit wonder and demonstrates his versatility as an artist. The album has a wide array of hype songs, like the catchy “INDUSTRY BABY,” as well as a few slower ones when the occasion calls for it. My favorite is “TALES OF DOMINICA,” which presents a more melancholy vibe and reflects his mental health and personal life. It’s a perfect blend for whatever mood you find yourself in.

Check out previous Falcon 4 Entertainment recommendations