‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ provides normalcy and creative outlet during quarantine

Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

One place of solace during these hard times for people is video games.

Nintendo released “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” on March 20 for the Nintendo Switch.

People who are new to video games as well as video game veterans can find enjoyment out of “New Horizons.”

Marty Munshower, a former student at The University of Akron who picked it up on day one, said, “It appeals to both hardcore and casual gamers, and there is always something to do,” Marty Munshower, a former student at The University of Akron who picked it up on day one, said.

“New Horizons” is a game you can easily binge, in fact, one of the main reasons it has a great longevity is because it’s a sandbox game — it allows players to decide the main point of the game to be whatever they want it to.

You can customize your character as well as your deserted island to your heart’s content and there is always something to improve.

One of my favorite features of the game is the Critterpedia, which keeps track of all the bugs and fish you’ve caught. It’s something to keep players interested throughout the year because some animals are only found in certain seasons or times of the day.

Many people find comfort in the game’s laid-back atmosphere, as it reminds them of a better time.

Kyle Bowen, a dance instructor and avid fan of the game, said, ‘’For me, I’ve always loved that it’s an easy way to zone out and enjoy a different world for a bit, especially right now with everything going on it’s been really helpful to give me a sense of normalcy when everything else is upside down.”

The game also has an online feature, so even if you can’t see your friends in person you can visit them online. It’s always interesting to see how different people can turn the same island into such different and creative spaces.

Nathan Griffin, a junior at Cleveland State University and a day-one adoptee as well, said he loves how the game doesn’t make you compete against others.

“Sure, it has its tasks but overall it allows you to unleash your creative side and design your own island the way you want,” he said.