BGSU plans dining hall reopening, sets safety measures

The university’s dining halls, such as the Oaks, will feature several new implementations, such as reserved times for sanitation and a carry-out service.

Courtney Brihan and Courtney Brihan

As part of BGSU’s multifaceted return to campus plan, on-campus dining will see multiple changes for the fall semester to emphasize health and safety for students and employees.

There will be a review for all employees of safety policy regarding new guidelines for COVID-19.

Each employee will conduct a wellness check every time they go into work, including a contactless temperature check. Face coverings will be provided and are mandatory to wear at all times. Guests are required to wear a mask at all times as well, except when eating.

Behind-the-scenes cleaning procedures will occur every 30 minutes.

On-campus dining halls will include sanitizer stations in high traffic areas and educational posters about health and safety procedures. All cutlery will be pre-packaged as well as salt and pepper packets.

The Oaks and Carillon dining halls

Tossed – previously a salad bar – will be converted to an expanded dessert station that will be for full-service only. The menu will also be simplified in order to increase the speed of service. Drinks will continue to be self-serve but individual cups will be given out personally by employees. 

Takeout orders will also be an option at The Oaks. This will have a separate line at the entrance and one swipe will include a salad, entree, sides, dessert and a beverage. These will be served in microwavable containers. Takeout for Carillon will be available between 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The Oaks and Carillon will be closed everyday from 3:00 to 3:30 p.m. for disinfection.

BTSU Falcon’s Nest

• Marco’s Pizza will no longer be serving individual slices.

• Jamba Juice has removed breakfast sandwiches from their menu.

• Mondos will only be offering wraps and 8-inch subs.

• Chickendipity will expand their bowl menu and redesign the check-out queue for better social distancing.

• Bowl N’ Grains has been discontinued and the space will instead be used as a grab-and-go location.

• Coffee and fountain drinks will be removed completely because of access in other areas of the Bowen-Thompson Student Union.

• Starship delivery robots will continue to be utilized during the 2020 school year. There will be a new mobile ordering pick up location near the BG1 card service desk.

There are no changes to Kreischer Late Night at this time.