Learn to celebrate the little things

We’ve all seen the signs: “Today is national ________ day! Donate to the cause!” or “This month is national _______ month! Help us celebrate!”

Awareness days and months are important in a world filled with many causes that deserve recognition.

November brings with it its own awareness days, some of which I am about to share with you. While the following items are more silly than serious, it’s important to remember that there are many other serious awareness days and months. World Kindness Day, International Day for Tolerance, International Survivors of Suicide Day, Native American Heritage Day, Veteran’s Day, Remembrance Day, World Diabetes Day, National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, Adoption Awareness Month and many others are all a part of the November month. I encourage you to broaden the scope of your mind throughout this month by becoming aware of something you were not before.

Now, without further ado, I present:

My top ten November awareness days:

1.)   Go Cook for Your Pets Day (Nov. 1)

According to nationaldaycalender.com, this day is all about doing something special for that little love muffin waiting for you at home. I know my sweet pooch can expect an extra yummy bone this year!

2.)   Plan Your Epitaph Day (Nov. 2)

According to daysoftheyear.com, this is the perfect day to set aside some time to figure out what you’re going to have to say about yourself before you’re gone. Perhaps during a graveyard picnic?

3.)   Fountain Pen Day (Nov. 2)

“A time to embrace, promote, and share the use of fountain pens.” — fountainpenday.org

4.) Fill Our Staplers Day (Nov. 5)

According to daysoftheyear.com, this day was created by some people who were fed-up with their staplers running out of staples in their greatest moment of need. Celebrate by taking a moment to ensure that your stapler is filled to the brim with working staples.

5.) Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day (Nov. 7)

I bet you didn’t know that this is just as much of a historical remembrance day as it is a food enthusiast day. According to daysoftheyear.com, this is one of the oldest recipes involving chocolate known in the English-speaking world. So go ahead. Indulge. This is as good of an excuse as any!

6.) Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day (Nov. 15)

I’ll admit it. Sometimes I leave food in the fridge for a little too long. If you’re like me, maybe this day will be just the kick in the pants you need to ensure your household food preservation appliance is spotless which is, according to nationaldaycalendar.com, what this day is all about.

7.) Blasé Day (Nov. 25)

Take this day to be, as nationaldaycalender.com states, indifferent or bored with life. Not grumpy. Not happy. Just … meh.

8.) Stay Home Because You’re Well Day (Nov. 30)

Sometimes, as nationaldaycalendar.com reminds us, it’s valid to take a day off to stay at home for no other reason than you’re well! Not that I’m encouraging you to cut class or work, but if you’re able, celebrate this day by staying home and doing things that bring you joy.