Sexual assault happens to men

Sexual assault is a very serious thing. It happens each day to many people.

What’s even more crazy is that the victim is not always a female. Rape and sexual assault happens to more males than people think.

People often think that males can’t get assaulted because of their masculinity, but that’s definitely not the case.

I have experienced some sexual assault in my life. Not only do I know of guys who have been sexually assaulted, but I have witnessed males get assaulted. Here’s something I’ve never told anyone.

When I first came to BG, I witnessed an altercation during Opening Weekend 2014. I was walking back to McDonald after visiting friends in Centennial and Harshman. I was passing through the Oval when I saw two parties coming the opposite way. A guy was getting harassed for being gay. The attacker then began to walk back towards the guy and attempted to fight him. A friend of the gay person tried to help her friend and get the guy off of him.

I was about to reach for my phone and dial 911, but before I could, the fighting had subsided and both parties went on their separate ways.

This happens more than what people think.

I watch a television show called “The Haves and the Have Nots.” In this show, there is a black character who is gay. In a recent episode, he was stopped by a white cop. Not only was he racially profiled, he was also sexually harassed by this cop.

This cop had specific knowledge on his sexuality, then proceeded to strip search him, while telling him in his ear how much he hates gays. The cop used his knowledge of the character’s sexuality, along with his abuse of his power, to touch this guy inappropriately.

He then placed the guy under arrest, and placed him in the back of his police car. The officer got in the back seat of the police car with him and used reverse psychology to try and trick the character into giving him oral sex.

In “American Crime,” another television show I watch weekly, a boy at a rich high school goes to a party thrown by the school’s basketball team. He gets drunk and is raped at the party by one of the guys on the basketball team. His mother speaks out to get justice for her son.

Rape isn’t always black and white—a female getting raped by a male. Sometimes, it’s much more different and complicated than that.

Don’t EVER let anyone tell you that males can’t be sexually assaulted, because they can.

Males could be more liable to fight their attackers back, but sometimes victims are overpowered by either force, or even blackmail of a secret they or one of their family members may have.

For males, the same statistics apply. They’re likely to know their attacker and they’re likely not to say anything following the attack because they’ll be called a coward or fear their sexuality may be called into question.

We need to stop thinking that this can only happen to females and accept that this can happen to anyone–gay, straight, lesbian, female, male, transgendered. You won’t realize the hardcore truth until it happens to you.

Respond to Torrance at