Fresh Falcon: Transfer Quarterback Connor Bazelak

Rhys Patrykus

Rhys Patrykus, Sports Reporter, FMSN

One of the newest members of the Bowling Green football team was finally able to show off a little bit in front of the media.

The team held their first open practice of the season on Jan. 30.

This was the first chance for people to see the freshmen and transfers showcase their skills.

The biggest name amongst the crowd? Transfer quarterback Connor Bazelak.

Bazelak announced his commitment to Bowling Green back in January. He comes to the team with 3 years of starter experience across the Big 10 and the SEC.

He said one of the biggest reasons he came to BGSU was the coaching staff.

“The biggest part was the coaching staff. Coach Loeffler, Coach Warner. On my visit they just preached how much I would learn, how much they can develop me in the areas I need improvement in. I feel like this coaching staff can take me to that next level,” Bazelak said.

Bazelak was a four-star prospect coming out of Archbishop Alter High School in Dayton, Ohio.

He decided to attend the University of Missouri over offers from Boston College, Georgia, and Kentucky among others.

Coach Loeffler was Bazelak’s primary recruiter back when he was Boston College’s quarterbacks coach.

Bazelak says that was part of the reason he didn’t commit to Boston College out of high school and why he chose BGSU earlier this year.

“Having that past relationship was huge. Him at Boston College, my go-to is ‘I knew he was going to get a head coaching job, so that’s why I didn’t go there,” he said, “He was one of the first people to called me when I entered the [transfer] portal, he’s been great.”

While at Missouri, the quarterback was named SEC Co-Freshman of the Year in 2020.

He went on to play another year for the Tigers before transferring to the University of Indiana for the 2022 season.

Across 10 games for the Hoosiers, Bazelak went 235/426 passing for 2,312 yards, 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

He says that his time facing defenses, mainly from the Big 10 and SEC, can help him and his new teammates here in Bowling Green.

“I think I can help the players around me. I’ve seen pretty much every coverage, every defense, played in the most hostile environments,” he said. “There’s nothing that’ll phase me, and I feel like I can share that experience with some of my teammates.”

With an open QB competition and roughly seven months until the 2023 season begins, it remains to be seen when Bazelak sees his first live action as a Falcon.

Regardless of whether he sees the field or not, he can still provide valuable experience and leadership to one of the youngest teams in the country.