Falcon Four- the Akron Zips

Akrons CJ Nunnally IV
Akron Athletics
Akron’s CJ Nunnally IV

After finishing their road trip with a 2-1 record, including two major wins over Georgia Tech and Buffalo, BGSU (3-4, 1-2 MAC) is finally back at the nest, and they’ll have the Akron Zips (1-6, 0-3 MAC) in town for BG’s family weekend.  

Akron is one of two MAC teams who have yet to win a conference game, and they have a history of playing BG extremely close. Here are four Zips to keep your eyes on come Saturday. 

1. Running Back Lorenzo Lingard (#27) – Officially the lead rusher now after the injury to dual-threat quarterback DJ Irons, the transfer from the University of Florida is the engine of the Zips’ offense. Jack of all trades, master of none, he leads the team in rushing yards with 332 on 65 attempts, but just one touchdown. He ranks third on the team in receiving – 195 receiving yards on 19 receptions and another touchdown. 
  2. Wide Receiver Alex Adams (#7) – Adams is usually Akron’s big play threat but has been kept in check this season. After recording career and team highs in 2022 (855 yards and nine touchdowns on just 63 catches), Adams has been held to just 181 yards and a single touchdown on 21 receptions, including being held to below 20 receiving yards in three of five games he’s played in this season (Adams did not play vs Buffalo, Northern Illinois).   
  3. Defensive Lineman CJ Nunnally IV (#91) – Nunnally is the one-man wrecking crew of Akron’s defense. He leads the team in sacks with five, which ties him for second place in the conference. He has 33 tackles this season, which ranks him fourth on the team. 
  4. Cornerback KJ Martin (#1) – Martin is Cornerback number one for the Zips, leading the team in interceptions (two) and passes defended (four). The four PDs rank 11th in the conference, and his two picks tie him with BG’s Davon Ferguson, Avi McGary, and Jordan Oladokun for sixth in the MAC.  

The Falcons have lost two of their last three matchups with these Zips, but this team has shown time and time again this season that anything is possible in 2023.  

If you won’t be at the game with your family for the BGSU’s “Family Weekend”, tune into Falcon Radio and join Sean Connelly and Kalen Lumpkins for complete game coverage starting at 1:45 p.m., with kickoff set for 2 p.m.