Painter’s brace gives Falcons first road win of the season

Drake Harlett

Three goals and three points on the road for the Orange and Brown for the first time in 2023.

Bowling Green visited the Drake Bulldogs in Des Moines, Iowa for a chance to move up the standings in the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC).

The Falcons opened up the scoring early. After fifth-year forward Nathan Masters was tripped up in the box, junior midfielder Alberto Anaya converted a penalty kick in the 9’ to give BG a 1-0 lead.

In the 27’, fifth-year forward Eli Shope left the match due to injury and did not return for the Falcons.

Drake nearly found the equalizer with just 10 seconds left in the first half, with forward Eloge Iradukunda striking a shot that hit the top of the crossbar.

The Bulldogs outshot Bowling Green 5-3 in the first half, but the Falcons took a 1-0 lead going into halftime.

Just 43 seconds into the second half, Bennett Painter got his first collegiate goal right from kick-off off a ball from Mads Christensen to double the Falcons lead.

Painter wouldn’t stop there, the freshman would get his second goal of the afternoon with a 30-yard rocket that found the top left corner of the net to make it 3-0 BG in the 59’.

There would be no shutout for the Orange and Brown, Enrich Legut found the back of the net in the 77’ for Drake to get the Bulldogs on the board.

Bowling Green would go on to defeat Drake to a final score of 3-1, giving the Falcons their first road win since last season.

With this win, the Falcons moved up to third place in the MVC with a (4-0-2) conference record and now (7-5-3) overall.

Next up, is the biggest game of the season.

Bowling Green hosts #20 ranked Missouri State at Cochrane Stadium on Friday, October 27th, for their regular season home finale. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m.

For more information related to the team, follow us on X at @bg_fmsn.